📗 Free Preview Version
Let’s talk about products that help you sweat, burn calories and become stronger. Nah, this is not a guide for losing weight. We’re going to talk about fitness tech, i.e. physical or digital products that make working out from anywhere possible.
Startups are building for the future of exercise by (1) reinventing workout equipment, (2) bridging IRL and URL fitness, (3) creating immersive experiences, (4) niching down to serve new market segments, and (5) financialize exercising.
We’ll break down the top fitness market trends: what product categories are on the rise, how they differentiate, how they monetize, and what are the next big opportunities. Healthier, faster, stronger, let’s go:
1. Top 11 Fitness Market Trends
(1) Retail gyms are adopting a hybrid fitness model:
- Franchise gyms are combining fitness studios (IRL fitness) and at-home workouts by tapping into virtual classes (URL fitness).
- Barry’s Bootcamp offers Barry’s X, a $39.99/month subscription to access live workouts, on-demand videos, and social networks.
- F45 offers F45 Challenge, a combination of on-demand workouts, meal challenges, and a goal tracking portal.
- Jane DO is a women-focused workout studio + on-demand livestreams subscription, starting from $30/mo to $75/mo.
- 9round offers 9RoundNOW, an on-demand kickboxing online session guided by instructors, starting from $19.99/month.
(2) Peloton for “X” make all kinds of exercises possible at home:
- Connected gym equipment is going beyond indoor cycling. Companies are making rowing, strength training, and running more connected, interactive, and smarter.
- Tonal combines patented digital weight, workout content, and personalized coaching.
- Tempo uses AI and 3D vision technology to provide real-time form correction and personalized workout plans.
- Mirror offers an invisible full-length workout mirror to help you train at home.
- CityRow brings rowing machines and studios to your home.
- FightCamp enables smart boxing and punching at your home.
(3) Fitness is becoming holistic: